Friday 29 October 2010

Weekend away in Helsinki with Amie (Day 1)

Well, Amie and I needed a weekend away with each other; after I got back from my 7 weeks away in Tornio, it has been non-stop at work and I've been working long hours (which I do anyway, but more so recently). We planned a trip to Helsinki so that I can show Amie a bit of Finland where I spent a part of my life. She's never been before but was really looking forward to it.

With the help of Sam Megson (who is currently working over here on her rotation) she created a bit of a plan for us, so that we had some stuff to do while we were over here - when I say a bit of a plan, she presented me with a 5 page document, and 3 or 4 books with coloured tabs marking things of interest. I have to love her cause she is my bestie, but she is a plan-o-holic... Anyway, this is my perfect type of holiday, I have not had to think, I have just turned up and followed the guide - what I am best at doing :-)

So I took today off work, even though I dialed in to answer some mails and questions, and we set off from home at about 10.50 and got the bus into town. I am not very good with public transport, there are too many old people wanting to steal our seats at the front of the bus, but they all kept their distance and we made it into town in one piece. We got our train tickets from Sheffield station and got on the train - having to turf some mardy old business man out of our seats because he had removed the ticket saying they were reserved.

The train journey went without a problem, it was quite nice and I would do it again if I was going to the airport for work, and at only £24 a person return, it was well worth it. We got into the station at Manchester and found our way to terminal 3. It was a bit of a treck, but it is a nice terminal with things to do and we passed the hour with no worries. We were taking an EasyJet flight which I was a bit worried about. I have seen too many episodes of "Airport" on the tele where they are filming EasyJet staff and their customers and I wasn't best pleased with some of the cases... I have been told I am a snob (mainly by Sam), because I didn't really want to take the flight, but there was no other way for so cheap. When they called the gate out, it was like a farmer hearding cattle, everyone races to the gate because it is 140 seats of "free seating", so you sit where you like... We got close to the front of the queue (because of Sam's guide telling us the gate number) and Amie being amazing at bargeing people out of the way and generally kicking ass.

We were really delayed (by about 30 minutes) which is boring when you are having to stand in line and make sure no one tries to cut in. But we got on the plane and got some good seats next to the wing with extra leg room. We had an all-day breakfast sandwhich, which cost a small fortune, but it was nice.

The flight was uneventful and we landed on time, we managed to get our bag (it was the 8th on the belt), and we got to the bus - again - following Sam's instructions. We found the stop on the bus and we made it to the apartment! Just settling in and trying something good on tele, but all there is on is a crap Tom Cruise film or BBC News - or a load of Finnish programs, and my 7 weeks in Tornio didn't teach me enough to keep up :-)

Anyway, tomorrow is a day of fun and excitment, but I'll tell you about that then! Night night

No comments:

Post a Comment